Saturday 26 March 2011

Library Card Galactica!

Took George to the library yesterday. (on the bike again I might add, yay me!) Hadn't been to the main one for about 5 years. Well I'd had no reason to... G was given loads of books when he was a baby and before then I was pregnant and DID NOT want to read about my tummy growing and feet swelling when I could find all that out by taking a peek in the mirror. The only book I needed while pregnant was "How to prevent preeclampsia, pregnancy rash and carpal tunnel syndrome" and funnily enough that book hasn't been written yet to my knowledge.
I reckon "You're having a sprog, grin and bear it" will be on the shelves before the other.

So anyway, we walked in the library and I very nearly apologised and walked back out, thought we'd accidentally walked into 2025!
Modern seating in one corner with tea and coffee making facilities!... A young pretty woman sat behind the help desk tapping away on t'interweb a bit further away... A wifi computer area for little ones to check their emails!.... a great selection of RECENT DVDs... and as if I wasn't already amazed enough (and baffled as to where all the old people had gone, and that fusty library smell) there stood before us.... THREE self serve scanning machines!!... Bugger me! But check this out, you don't even have to scan your books individually, just pop them on the shelf, tap the screen a couple of times and out pops your neat little receipt showing a list of the books you have and the date they're due back. G looked at me and I knew we were thinking the same!... "How fuc#ing cool is this!" Although if he was thinking that I'd better borrow "A guide to better parenting"
I'm not surprised the young woman on the 'help desk' didn't look busy, I reckon this machine would've given me directions home if I'd have asked it!

So yeah, we chose some books, got G his lovely new Gruffalo library card, wandered around in amazement and then cycled home totally impressed by our local library.

Am i just out of touch? Easily pleased? Who cares.
Get down to your local library before the Government closes them all!



No comments:

Post a Comment